We are so excited to be dropping another blog post sharing this spec-turned-custom home. This house sold early at framing and lucky for the homeowners, we got to work with them to turn our design into something that felt more them—charming, french provencal. One of our favorite things to do is to collaborate with clients to create their dream aesthetic and this one did just that.
“Oakstone worked with us to realize our French country-style home right in the middle of Iowa. The first time we saw the design and architectural features of the house we were hooked, the sloping roofline and rounded dormer windows were so unique. We wanted to customize our home with design elements that reflected a Midwest take on chateau influence. Oakstone was more than willing to work with us to achieve it with custom elements such as wainscoting, built-ins, herringbone floors, and brass hardware. The design team was supportive of our specific vision allowing us the freedom to choose details yet willing to lend their support and expertise. The end result was exactly the warm, down-to-earth version of the French country-style house we wanted. It satisfies our hearts to have this hand-selected home as a backdrop to so many aspects of our lives, thanks to Oakstone Homes.” —Abby, homeowner
The entry hall hosts the library which was designed to fit the client’s baby grand piano—a family heirloom. The built-in shelving is painted Gentleman’s Gray to display all of their collected items.
The homeowner wanted to create a statement moment through the entry and staircase so we worked with our trim carpenters to create a full wainscot design. Paint: Swiss Coffee at 75% by Benjamin Moore.
When designing this space we added windows into the kitchen last minute and we are so happy with the decision. We love the way they perfectly frame the hood vent to create the kitchen’s focal point. Some of our other favorite features of this space include the marble backsplash, wainscot wing walls added to the island, and the white oak ceiling beams that span the kitchen and dining ceiling.
The Powder Room
Powder rooms are a space we love to have the most fun in. If our clients are wanting a bold design without the big price tag we encourage them to think about designing in a small space like a half bath. It’s a frequently used space with typically the smallest square footage of the house. In this room the homeowner selected a beautiful Ralph Lauren Home wallpaper and brass accents.
We wanted to create a charming, yet practical look for the mudroom. We picked one of our favorite colors, Light Gray by Farrow and Ball, which leans slightly green, with a durable white oak bench and herringbone brick floors.
The Master Bath
The homeowner wanted to create a bright, feminine master ensuite. We combined polished brass hard finishes with clean white cabinets, marble-like porcelain tile, scalloped mirrors and a wainscot wall to centralize the tub.
Paint & Stain:
- Wall Color: Swiss Coffee @ 75% by Benjamin Moore
- Trim Color: Swiss Coffee @ 75% by Benjamin Moore
- Kitchen Beams: Custom whitewash
- Kitchen Island: Custom whitewash
- Library: Gentleman’s Gray by Benjamin Moore
- Mudroom Lockers: Light Gray by Farrow & Ball
- Kitchen: Hesita by Vicostone
- Master Bath: Misterio by Vicostone
- Kitchen: CKF signature, Color: Linen
- Kitchen Island: CKF signature, Color: White Oak Sand
- Master Bath: Marquis Express, Color: White
Flooring and Tile:
- Wood Flooring: Laguna, Color: Cadiz
- Carpet: Cape Cod, Color: Silver Lining
- Mudroom Tile: Emil Kotto, Color: Cenre
- Master Bath: Sublime Barillo Glossy
- Master Shower Walls: Sublime Barillo Glossy
- Master Shower Floor: Carrara Herringbone Mosaic
- Kitchen Backsplash: Interceramic Natural Tumbled Marble 3×6, Color: Dolomite White